Thursday, April 3, 2008

Two Legged Dear Hunting In Patten Maine

This shot was taken at the end of a fantastic week-long stay at my uncle's hunting lodge in Maine. It was Thanksgiving Day Week of 1968. That good-lookin-like-me fellow there is my father. Dad is getting ready to go back to our home town of Dundalk, Maryland, a Baltimore County suburb of Baltimore City.

I had planned on going back home with him, and then joining the U.S. Merchant Marines. That way the U.S. military couldn't draft me and send me to Vietnam.

But I am staying there in Maine to work for and live with my Aunt Martha and Uncle Finley K. Clarke, at their Katahdin Lodge and Camps in Aroostook County. They desperately needed manpower to help operate their business, and I was it.

At first, I had my bags all packed up and in the station wagon there. We were all exchanging heart felt so-longs and see-ya-laters, when Fin and Marty launched into psy-ops type maneuvers and manipulations that were designed to keep me there. They promised me use of their vehicles for my spending lots of time in town enjoying the finest kind of country-kid style fun and games; the food was always good and plentiful on Marty's dining room table; and then they said, "You like riding the snowmobiles, think of all the fun you'll have doing that."

That were all she wrote, so to speak. I yanked my suitcases back out from the Ford wagon there, and the rest is history, as they say.

For Dad and I, that Thanksgiving Week was a greatest time of our lives. It was the last week of deer hunting season. But I hadn't become interested in big game hunting yet. I was there for the country girls and good times with all them wonderful teenage Mainer kids up in that part of God's Country.

Around Katahdin Lodge, during that week in late November of '68, it was said that my father, Bob, went out to hunt four legged deer during the day, and his son, David, went out to hunt two legged dear at night.



David Robert Crews Copyright 2008


Author's note: This blog is actually part of my poorman's web site.

Links at the top right of this web page lead to the other parts of this 'homemade' web site.

This web site consists of all the linked publishing's under My Work That Is Published In Maine and Some Of My Other World Wide Web Published Works.

This blog site is set up as a digital coffee table book styled web site, with the most newly dated blog post being the first page of the book.

It is read down the web page from the latest dated blog entry through the next three older blog posts/pages of the book.

Once you have viewed one set of four blog entries, hit that OLDER POSTS button, at the bottom of each web page to view the next four blog posts/book pages.

That is how to navigate through and enjoy viewing the "The World's First Digital Coffee Table Book".

Now hit that Older Posts button
right there below this, to
enjoy more pages of
photos and stories.

No comments: